Walking on a treadmill is less harmful to your joints than walking on the ground because most treadmills have shock absorption. The best walking shoes should complement your stride by providing comfort, fit, and cushioning. These features prevent calluses and blisters and may help you stick with your walking exercise program.
The Best Walking Shoes 2019
ASICS Gel-Kayano 16
- I.G.S (Impact Guidance System) Technology - ASICS design philosophy that employs linked componentry to enhance the foot's natural gait from heel strike to toe-off.
- FlyteFoam Lyte Technology - ASICS lightest weight midsole formulation that provides continuous cushion thanks to organic nano fibers.
- FlyteFoam Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
- FluidRide Midsole - ASICS FluidRide midsole provides the ultimate combination of bounce back and cushioning properties with reduced weight and exceptional durability.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Technology Cushioning System - Attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle.
This shoe is best rated for stability thanks to the Impact Guide System, which enhances your feet ‘natural gait when walking on heels with a high level of shock absorption. ComforDry Sockliner helps keep your feet dry and prevents your socks from falling on your heels as you switch between different steps. The lanyards are designed asymmetrically for a comfortable upper fit while minimizing the chance of stimulation or loss of circulation to your feet or ankles, according to roadrunnersports.com
NIKE Men’s Air Max Invigor Print Running Shoes
NIKE Men’s Air Max Invigor Print running shoes are designed to provide comfort, stability, cushioning, and support for all the intensity and length of the stride. The upper front of the shoe made of breathable mesh material and flexible leather to fit your toes. A Phylon middle sole encourages a natural pace while your heel placed in Nike Sole Air for additional support, the 6pm.com website says.
Ryka Sportwalker 4
This lightweight breathable shoe is made with flex forefoot to give you the support you will need for exercise walking. Nitracel cushion box in the heel and support for transparent bone ensures gait from heel to toe smoothly. The manufacturer’s website states that a four-piece solid rubber outsole has balanced grooves to keep your ankles straight with your knees and prevent joint injuries or pain when in contact with a treadmill.
Reebok Men’s Ultimate Walk Walking Shoe
- Fit: This style tends to run small. For an accurate fit we recommend purchasing a 1/2 size larger than you typically purchase. For example, if you normally purchase a size 7, we recommend purchasing a size 7 1/2.
- Outsole: Rubber
- Upper: Leather/Mesh
- Features of this item include: Exercise, Mesh
The heel of this shoe is ideal for walking as it helps you stride forward and keep your heels, ankles, knees, and hips aligned. According to Reebok’s website, the leather and mesh combined with Opti-Flex Zone will add more flexibility and support to the forefoot.
New Balance MRW760
- N-ergy is a resilient engineered elastomer designed to provide shock absorption and responsiveness for the optimal ride
- Stability Web provides optimal arch support that’s both rigid and lightweight while preventing midfoot flex
- ABZORB FL midsole foam with DuPont Engage and isoprene rubber
This lightweight walking shoe is designed with the flexibility and feel of a running shoe and supports the heel and cushion. This combination is ideal for a range of walks and workouts on a treadmill. New Balance’s Walking Strike Path stabilizes your foot, and Phantom liner seamlessly reduces the weight of the shoe to strain your ankle muscle. The Abzorb cushion on the heel and forefoot is capable of damping to prevent joint discomfort, the manufacturer said.