Whey protein contains an incredible range of essential amino acids, which are rapidly absorbed. Many studies show that it can help you increase strength, increase muscle mass, and reduce body fat significantly.
However, whey not only provides protein, but it also contains many other nutrients, some with potent biological effects on the body. Whey Protein is one of the best-researched supplements in the world.
This is a detailed article about what whey protein is. How it works, and how it can help you achieve your goal of the exercise, especially the gym and your health benefits.
1. What is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is a mixture of proteins isolated from whey, which is the liquid part of milk separated during cheese making. Milk contains two primary proteins, casein (80%) and whey (20%). Whey found in the water of milk. When cheese produced, the significant parts of curd and whey are separated.
After being separated during cheese production, whey undergoes various processing steps to become what we call whey protein – a powder that can be used immediately after being shaken with a shaker. A small amount of filtered water can replace meals or supplement protein lost after exercise.
The purity of whey protein is not very attractive, which is why we often see whey protein manufacturers often add flavoring, the familiar flavors we often see chocolate, vanilla- and strawberry.
Drinking whey protein is the most convenient way to add 25 – 50 grams of protein to your daily diet. This is especially important for bodybuilders and people who often play sports, as well as those who need to lose weight or simply lack protein in their diet.
Most flavored whey proteins are also quite tasty and can be used to add flavor to healthy recipes such as smoothies and cakes. Whey protein is easily absorbed by most people, although there will be a few cases of allergies to milk, so be careful and learn carefully before using whey protein.
2. Whey Protein helps boost Protein and BCAA
Protein is a fundamental “block” in building the shape of every human being. They are also used to create various essential things, including tendons, organs, and skin, as well as different hormones, enzymes, neurotransmitters, and molecules.
Protein is also the building block of contrasting elements in your muscles. They gathered from amino acids, and smaller molecules are joined together as particles on the chain.
Some amino acids produced by your body’s cells; in addition, some provided by the foods you eat every day. These types of amino acids loaded into food words called essential amino acids.
Protein provides all nine essential amino acids, especially important, are branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) like leucine, besides protein also contains a high amount of cysteine. Studies show that leucine is the most anabolic amino acid (promotes growth), and cysteine can increase the level of cellular antioxidants.
Whey protein is particularly useful in stimulating human growth. Breastmilk contains 60% of whey, compared to only 20% in cow’s milk.
3. Differentiate Whey Protein: Concentrate vs. Isolate vs. Hydrolyzate
There are some common whey proteins that we often encounter today, and their main difference is in the way they have been processed.
- Whey Protein Concentrate: About 70-80% protein; contains a little lactose (milk sugar) and fat, has an easy-to-drink taste, an affordable price suitable for beginners.
- Whey Isolate Protein (isolated): 90% protein; contains less lactose and fat, whey isolate lacks a lot of beneficial nutrients in whey protein concentrate.
- Whey Protein Hydrolyzate (hydrolysis): 95% protein; Also known as hydrolyzed whey, this type has been directly resolved into peptide so that it is absorbed faster and is also the best, and fastest absorbing whey of the three types of whey. Therefore, whey hydrolyzate has a high cost.
Whey protein concentrate seems to be a very good choice for those who are just beginning to practice. The focus is also the cheapest whey and retains most of the beneficial nutrients found in whey. Many people also prefer the taste of whey concentrate than the other two wheys probably due to lactose and fat present in it.
However, if you are a gym person who wants to grow muscle size, is trying to add more protein while keeping low fat and starch levels, whey isolate or whey hydrolyzate is a better choice.
4. Effect of Whey on Mass and Muscle Strength
So what does whey protein do? The use of whey protein supplements to increase weight and muscle strength is what most gymer understands. Whey protein is very popular with athletes, bodybuilders, bodybuilders, as well as those who want to improve their workout performance.
The ways that whey protein promotes muscle gain/strength include:
- Building blocks: It provides protein and amino acids, acts as building blocks for muscle formation.
- Hormone: It increases the release of the anabolic hormone that stimulates muscle growth.
- Leucine: It has many amino acids leucine, which can stimulate muscle protein synthesis at the molecular and genetic level.
- Rapid absorption: Whey protein is absorbed very quickly compared to other proteins.
Whey protein is particularly useful in increasing muscle growth when used before, after, or during exercise. Muscle protein synthesis usually maximized during the period after exercise. However, a recent review concluded that total daily protein is a determining factor in muscle development.
If compared with other proteins, such as soy protein, whey protein often gives better results. When compared to casein, whey is sufficient for a short time. But casein stimulates muscle growth for a longer time and is commonly used before bed so that the body has enough protein to supply muscle in a long night.
Note, if you want to increase muscle mass, supplementing whey protein cannot wholly replace protein-rich foods from plants and animals. Nor should it be sanctified that this supplement is a medicine that increases muscle if you don’t eat enough. Regularly add protein from meat, fish, eggs, milk… so your workout has a good result.
5. Whey Protein Supports Weight Loss and Lean Muscle Growth
Protein can support weight loss because it is the most saturated nutrient. Protein can increase energy consumption by 80-100 calories a day and make people eat up to 441 calories a day.
In one study, if your daily calories contained 25% of protein, it would reduce your cravings by 60%. Drinking whey protein is a great way to increase your protein intake, which has great benefits for weight loss.
Studies have shown that replacing other calories with whey protein, combined with weight lifting, can reduce weight and increase lean muscle mass. If you are trying to lose weight, supplementing with whey protein can help you both lose weight and keep muscles.
6. Dosage and Side Effects
A recommended dose is 1-2 tablespoons (about 25-50 grams) per day. Usually, after a workout, we recommend using the instructions on the package.
Remember that if your protein intake is already high every day, it is not necessary to use additional added whey protein.
People with kidney or liver problems before use should consult with a health professional. Some people with lactose allergies may be more suitable to use whey protein isolate or hydrolyzate. If you are not a great advocate, it is not necessary to use whey protein but supplement it with other foods during your daily diet.
TOP 5 Best Whey Protein 2019
1. MusclePharm Combat Powder
- 25Gs OF PROTEIN containing 5 PROTEIN SOURCES that are fast and slow digesting to fuel muscles and performance for hours! With added BCAAs, GLUTAMINE, & DIGESTIVE ENZYMES
- AWARD WINNING TASTE that mixes easily and goes great with water, milk, almond milk, fruits, and vegetables.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE All MusclePharm sales by Amazon.com are backed by a 30-Day, Full Money Back Guarantee.
- UNIVERSITY STUDIED FORMULA created for athletes seeking to optimize recovery, build muscle, and support strength
- BANNED-SUBSTANCE TESTED and certified by Informed-Choice. Athletes who see the Informed-Choice logo on a product can be assured it has undergone rigorous checks and testing to ensure that it is not contaminated with banned substances and is safe to use.
Combining five different types of proteins that have different slow absorption rates, keep your muscles replenished with protein for 8 hours after use.
Products that contain Casein Protein are therefore very convenient and economical because they do not need to use at the same time as whey and casein.
The amount of protein provided is the only 66.6g of protein / 100g.
The sodium content of 253.4mg / time is still safe, but quite high compared to the opponent.
You are using artificial sweetener sucralose, potassium acesulfame, and soy lecithin.
The protein component contains soy and lactose. => Anyone who is lactose allergic should consider choosing other products.
The combination of whey isolate and whey concentrate, but not digestive enzymes, can cause indigestion in some people.
Solubility is not good. There are still tiny insoluble particles.
2. Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey
- Packaging may vary - New look, with the same trusted Quality!
- GOLD STANDARD 100% WHEY BLEND – 24g blended protein consisting of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey peptides to support lean muscle mass – they don't call it the GOLD STANDARD of quality for nothing
- OVER 5G OF BCAAS ‚Äì help build lean and strong muscles with BCAAs
- 3-4G CARBS, 1-3G SUGAR, AND 1-1.5G FAT, GLUTEN FREE, No Sucralose in Double Rich Chocolate Flavor
- INSTANTIZED – improves mixability to prevent lumps and clumps
The best-selling product in the past 20 years, ranked No. 1 on bodybuilding.com for best-selling whey.
Combined ingredients from 3 whey types: whey isolate + whey concentrate + whey peptide (resolved whey helps to absorb well) to provide a full complement of nutrition and reasonable absorption rate.
Having Aminogen and Lactase will help improve digestion.
Users appreciate whey Gold Standard 100% Whey for its variety in flavor.
Impressive solubility in seconds.
Use artificial sweetener.
Ingredients are containing soy lecithin.
3. Cellucor COR-Performance Whey
- 24g Protein Per Serving
- 5.25g Naturally Occurring BCAAs
- Incredible Gluten Free Flavors
- Whey Protein Isolate as Primary Source
- TruFacts Full Disclosure Label & Manufactured in a GMP Compliant Facility
Blended between whey isolate and whey concentrate. It will supplement the inherently low fat and starch content in whey isolate, helping the body to replenish nutrition more fully and balanced.
This is a product line with great taste and variety.
Excellent solubility, although ingredient labels do not contain lecithin and do not produce too much foam.
Contains three types of digestive enzymes: protease, protease A-S, and lactase that can help improve indigestion symptoms, especially those who have difficulty digesting with lactose
Sodium content is 251.5mg/time, and although it is still at a safe level, it is not a small number.
Use artificial sweetener sucralose and acesulfame potassium.
The ingredient still contains some substances that can cause allergies to lactose examples.
4. Dymatize ISO-100
- One 80-ounce jar of chocolate flavored protein shake
- 1 scoop provides 24 grams of ultra high-quality whey protei
- An effective way to build and maintain lean muscle mass
- Mixes instantly; no aspartame; low lactose. Gluten free
- High in essential amino acids and rich in glutamine peptides
Because this is the main whey hydrolyzate line, so its absorption is speedy compared to the rest of the whey. It’s beneficial when your muscles need to replenish protein immediately after exercising.
The ability to dissolve quickly and easily.
The taste is delicious, and many flavors to choose from.
The amount of protein provided for each use is relatively high compared to the other products.
Ingredients contain soy.
Contains artificial sweetener sucralose, containing soy lecithin.
High cost: Since this is a more top-grade whey hydrolyzate than other products, so we can accept this price.
5. MyProtein Impact Whey Isolate
- Low fat and carbohydrate
- Contributes to the growth and maintenance of muscle mass
- Contains unfeatured whey protein for both quick and long-term absorption to effectively assist muscles pre and post workouts
Cheap price the cheapest whey protein of all products available on the market today.
Low in fat, low in sugar and the least cholesterol in all products.
Taste delicious and varied.
Provide high purity protein, 86.6g protein / 100 g product, the highest compared to all other products.
Use artificial sweetener sucralose, containing soy lecithin (however it does not negatively affect your testosterone).
Ingredients contain soy.
Choice perfect for adding more protein to your diet. It is a quality source absorbed and used effectively by the human body. This is especially important for athletes, bodybuilders, or those who need muscle and strength while reducing fat. When it comes to muscle gain and fat loss, protein is the king of nutrients is even better than other healthy proteins from nature. However, you should also balance the diet between natural food and supplemental food. However, it is just a supplement. It is impossible to replace a healthy meal completely. Yours combine the most logical and intelligent way.